24 July, 2007

Rest/Travel day. Copenhagen to Amsterdam

Here is a picture from the 1st day riding by the Marble Church with the Amalienborg Royal Palaces (4 of them) surrounding the plaza.
The distant spire is the Church of Our Saviour and you can walk ALL the way to the top along the outside of the spire itself! Very cool!
Here is a picture from the next day when we actually climbed the spire (mentioned above). The modern looking flat roof building in the upper right is the Opera House. And the upper left is the Marble Church.
Here I am in front of Frederiksborg Castle in the town of Hillerød. This was along bike route 32 which we took from here to Vejby. Not a very shabby "hunting lodge", as it was referred to back then for King Christian the 4th. If it was built in Denmark, Christian the 4th probably had something to do with it. He put the country into debt, never won a war, but built some magnificent structures.
To give you all a glimpse at the summer cottage backyard which was recently completed. We ate dinner on this portion of the patio. Here I am playing with TomTom!
Jeff and I walked to the beach the following day. This is in the town of Vejby and the boulders you see out in the water were placed there recently so that the little bit of beach you see would exist. Otherwise the shoreline is falling into the ocean, kind of like California. My folks were here years ago while they were placing some of the boulders you see here. My dad's comment was that the piece of machinery wasn't going to last long driving INTO the ocean like it was. I can say today that I'm glad they did what they did, it's beautiful and a great setting. There were MANY sailboats traveling up and down the coast, wish I were on one of them! I'm sure I could have found a salt shaker on one of those and probably some Buffett tunes!

I finally got my reservation for the night train going to Hamm, Germany direct. I leave at 7:00 pm and get there around 5:00 am. I hope I can sleep on a train! I'll make one more connection and then arrive in Amsterdam around 11:00 tomorrow. I'm heading to the train station now!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! I drank a margarita Sunday in your honor...
Safe journey!
Joy

Haley D. said...

Be careful on the train! Surely you've heard this already, but keep your valuables ON YOU AT ALL TIMES while you sleep. Hope you caught some Zzzzs. We love you!

Catherine McD said...

Hey Brian!
Glad you made it OK and are adventuring your way around Denmark. Was it only a week ago we were raising a "Bon Voyage" drink to you? Well this week it didn't rain on the Tues night ride, but we're all sick over the Vino news. Interesting to hear the perspective on it from over there...
Cat

Becky said...

We're looking forward to having you here in Amsterdam (and in Switzerland too!). It's been tough for us to find good tequila here in Amsterdam, but we regularly visit a mexican restaurant that can make a mean margarita, so maybe we can test it out after biking around and looking at windmills... See you soon!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

listen to haley! loved the photos. sandy and dick saw lots of animals today, i only saw to deer. and a hummer in town with florida plates.

looks like you are having lots of fun....

smiles, bee