26 July, 2007

Howdy from Amsterdam

Well yesterday's train rides went ok, only a couple glitches. The tickets are NOT clear at all about what train car and compartment you are supposed to be on. And, there is a separate car for your bike. I learned from the conductor on the platform in Copenhagen which car was which and I was able to get a seat after getting my bike onboard. So I'm cruising along enjoying my single cabin compartment when we get to the next stop about an hour into the ride. A very nice couple, and child, were supposed to be in the cabin I was in! They had not come around to check my ticket yet, so they conductor had not told me to move to my ASSIGNED cabin. I'm telling you, there is NOTHING that says what car much less what cabin you are in on these tickets. So I end up sharing a room with an older, nice, Danish gentlemen. I awoke at 4:30 to get off in Hamm at 5:00. I met a guy that had lost his bike because at some point in the night the bike train separated from the train car! He didn't have any Euros, so I bought him a crossiant and myself one and coffee. Thanks for the Euros from Sven and Catherine before I took off, otherwise I wouldn't have had a bite to eat! So I waited on the train to go to my next stop, but it didn't come. Another cycle touring couple, who spoke German, informed me the train was 70 minutes late. When the train showed up, I was then informed by the conductor that the NEXT train was the one I needed. I got on it and ended up in Bad Bentheim where EVERYONE got off the train. The train driver came down and told me I was the only person on the train, and this was the end of the line, he was "turning" around! The next train to Amsterdam came through 2.5 hours later!! So I saw a beautiful castle and had a cheap bite to eat in town. I made it to Amsterdam and let TomTom take me to Stuey's apartment to help get my bearings. I rode around sight seeing until I called him later and he said to me at the HRC, as mentioned previously. TomTom came to the rescue again! Now I'm off to meet Becky Grant for lunch and sight seeing, this time without my panniers, so it will be easier to get around or we'll just walk and ride the tram! C-ya!

"Stuck" in Hamm. Where's my train????

Not a bad "lay over" after all! This is Besichtigung Burg castle.

Stuart and I, good times!

5 comments:

Traveling Bells said...

Honey, we both knew there would be glitches, especially on an o/n train. At least you didn't get separated from your bike nor get robbed. Anything else is fixable. Glad you could help out your fellow traveler. This is all quite a learning experience for you! Say hi to Stuart. We leave CO today and head to WY. Weather cool & beautiful now. Love ya...Mom and Dad

Mom to 3 happy kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom to 3 happy kids said...

Hey there Brian,
Haley sent me your blog so we are following along on your adventure! Glad you are having the time of your life, if you find the lost shaker of salt, let us know!

We are headed to Costa Rica at the end of August to get in a little surfing, cheap cervezas and to visit old friends, too bad we won't be there at the same time.

We miss you. Enjoy every minute of the trip, you deserve it. Salut!

Kimberly and Bob

Unknown said...

Hey, Brian,
After reading that last post I'm just glad you didn't end up searching for the lost BIKE rather than the elusive shaker of salt! Enjoy Amsterdam, glad you are safely there.
Hugs,
Aunt Joy

Toby said...

Hey B,
Glad things are going well.
Have fun and be safe.
-T,K,J,Z and K