17 July, 2007

Bon voyage, au revoir, adios, arrivederci, c-ya!!

To all of my friends and family-
It's time for my epic trip across the pond. Two months of traveling and cykeling (Danish word for cycling!) Europe is about to begin. Some of you will ask, "Why did you quit your job and what the hell do you think you're doing?". And I'd say, I'm just doing what my dad told me to do! Actually, it started because he knew I wasn't completely happy and satisfied in my job and felt that I needed a change. I pondered the idea for a while and decided he was right. Besides, when will I get this chance again? So I put in my notice at Builders FirstSource and now I'm heading out for a wild adventure and an eye opening experience. I hope to come back with some perspectives on my life and the direction it's headed. If not, I'll at least come back with a relaxed state of mind and I'll figure out my direction later! Here is my tentative itinerary:
July 18 - Fly to Copenhagen - spend 5+ days with my cousin Jeff and Bjarne.
July 24 - Train to Amsterdam - spend 2-3 days with Stuart Parson and/or Jeff & Becky Grant
July 27 (+/-) - Train to Dusseldorf, Germany - cykel 300+ miles (5-8 days) of the Rhine & Mosel rivers to Mannheim, Germany
August 5 (+/-) - Train to Lake Como, Italy - find a "base camp" in the Dolomite mountains and day trip thru northern Italy for a week.
August 12 (+/-) - Train to Lindau, Germany (Lake Bodensee) - sight see a few days then cykel towards Thun, Switzerland (near Interlaken)
August 19-25 - "base camp" with Adrian and Susanna Sommer. Cykel/train around Swiss Alps and visit Jeff & Becky Grant in Zurich. (Yes, they are moving from Amsterdam!)
August 26-? - Wild and free vagabond! I know I would like to visit Munich & Berlin and will spend a weekend touring Prague with Petra. Other than that, I have no idea!
September 16-20 - back to Copenhagen to spend a little more time with my cousins again before departing back to the U.S.

I hope you enjoy following my journey and I look forward to sharing even more of my experiences when I return. Feel free to check back as often or as little as you like, hell, I won't know the difference! But this will be my journal that I am able to relive for many years to come. Thanks for going on this journey with me, and feel free to leave any comments as you'd like!

Happy trails,
Brian

PS- If this soul searching isn't enough, when I get back I'm going on a mountain biking trip on the Kokopelli Trail from Grand Junction, CO to Moab, UT. A 3 day, 142 mile trip with a few buddies. Then maybe go surfing in Costa Rica and then definitely skiing in Colorado. But come February, look out world because I'll be back and more ready than ever!

10 comments:

Traveling Bells said...

Sweetie, I know you'll have a blast, but I have to tell you to BE CAREFUL! That is in the Mom's Book of Rules:-) Dad and I both love you very much, and look forward to sharing this adventure with you...Mom

Haley D. said...

I am so proud of you, younger brother! Keep safe and enjoy the ride. We love you bunches and are going to miss you. Post when you can. Bon courage... Haley

Beth said...

Cuz -

Good luck and HAVE FUN! Can't wait to read about the adventures you will have...sounds like a Dr. Seuss - "OH the places you will go!" Love, Beth

Unknown said...

Good blog, good plan, good idea! You're doin' great!! :-D We'll see you at the airport in about 24 hours and are looking forward to hosting you for a few days. A few days of being "cykelturister" will be a welcome break from all our projects. And I'm certain we'll help you find that shaker of salt. ;-)

Kærlig hilsen,
Jeff & Bjarne

Joy said...

Hey, Brian, I'll enjoy reading about your adventures. Have a wonderful time. Love, Aunt Joy

Amy said...

Uncle Brian,
Watch out for those "Fins to the left, fins to the right." Let me know if you find your cheeseburger in paradise. I'll bring my bottle and meet you there. Remember, you're the best.......LOSER!!!!!!
I love you and be careful,
Alex
(Amy & Jason too)

Bry said...

Good luck, dude! We're all counting on you. -Bry

Traveling Bells said...

Good to hear that B has safely arrived in C'hagen and is putting his bike together. He does have his priorities! You guys enjoy your morning ride in that beautiful countryside...Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Have great time B. Be sure to ... dont forget to ... check out ... , oh whatever, just have a lot of fun! haha. Sure wish I could ride a bike about a 'half a mile' with you.
David, Erin, Lexi, and Aidan

Traveling Bells said...

Loved the pics! Brings back fond memories of when Dad and I were there:-) All is well here in cool Colorado, gettin' lotsa Alex sugah!...Love, Mom and Dad