13 August, 2007

Tour of Germany Stage 4 - Reidsbergpass

I saw many of kilometers of this sight. Thanks "age is relative" German dude!

Wow, what a day. I need my 'liquid stretch', AKA Endurox. To try and make a quick recap: Km 25, got passed by an old guy in his late 60.s, maybe early 70.s. Doesn.t speak much English, but at about km 35 decided I would ride with him to the Reidbergpass, the extended route. He pulled, and pulled, and I didn.t complain. MANY undulating hills and I was the passenger. I pulled through once, but he didn.t pull off until about km 60. I guess since I was still there, he figured I was ok. Km 75, finally stopped at a town fountain to get water. Km 90, I told him to keep going, I was cooked and needed food. Didn.t find food, only the Hammer Strength Endurolythes, my last Honey Stinger, and a package of Euro Trail Mix. I climbed the final 5k at 16% avg. grade and found my new friend near the top, clapping for me. Thank God for a triple, I used it! We watched Levi come through with Davide Rebellin and eventual winner Cuneog. Then saw Tommy D., then BIG George, then Jason McCartney, all scattered across the mountain. Cyclingnews reported on the crash of the Unibet rider crashing on the decent, and I got to see the paramedics working on him. Or I did as I braked heavily going into the same corner. This was probably the toughest decent I have ever encountered. The turns were atrocious, and the pavement horrible. I can see why Levi lost 5 seconds in the finale and am surprised that George made it back to finish 10th. I may ride a lot, as do a lot of my friends, but I still can.t understand how these guys can do the job they do. It.s hard NOT to think of doping, because I could use some testosterone today, if it will help me recover for tomorrow. I want to believe in these guys, but it.s really hard to. Tomorrow I will go to the start, then probably take the train to Lindau. I need a rest day. Oh, 112 km in the books, with a whole lot of climbing attached to a man that has my respect, although I don.t know his name. A speedy recovery to all who raced in Dahlonega this past weekend. Cheers!
The lead group, with Levi tucked in close to the back.

The third or fourth group, with BIG George!

The grouppetto some minutes back.

2 comments:

Traveling Bells said...

FYI...Dad sez a person in his sixties is NOT an old guy, or at least Dad's mind tries to tell him he is not old yet:-) Still enjoying the trip with you. Keep up the news...xoxo, Mom

mo--- said...

Please tell Jens hi from me! :-) keep the stories coming--sounds like you're having lots of fabulous adventures. You're not missing much here--it's just hot, smoggy, humid & smoggy. Take care!