06 September, 2007

Munich, um......

So, what can I blog about today? Not much I guess, sorry. It.s raining here, imagine that, and the forecast is going to follow me to Prague tomorrow as well.... Hopefully next week in Berlin will be good. Umm, I guess I should have planned to be here for more than 1.5 days because there really is a lot to see. I walked the "Red Shirt" free tour that starts at Marienplatz at 11. I highly recommend taking this tour, as it was also recommened to me. They are in numerous cities, with Berlin being my next visit with them. They of course only ask for tips. But one of the things I learned (although maybe I learned in my UCHS edumacation...) was that Munich was the starting point for the Nazi regeme. Hitler gave one of his first speeches above what is now the Hofbrau Haus, trying to rally troops and government of Bavaria. He said it was time to over throw the government in Berlin (which moved to Bonn, now back to Berlin...) Since Munich was all but totally destroyed in WWII, pretty much everything here is less than 70 years old, although rebuilt to look as it was. Nymphenburg sounds like an interesting place, wonder what I might find there.... :) I have an all day subway pass, so I think I will go back into town. I am my father.s son, I like figuring the train/bus/subway/bike paths, etc. out! The hardest things is getting your bearings once you come out of the ground. Having even a small map of the city should help if you can figure out the cross streets. Well like I said, not much to report. Just come over here and see it for yourself and tell me what I missed! Will report back when I can from Prague. C-ya!

The clock tower in Marianplatz.
I can.t remember the name of this church....
The infamous HofbrÀuhaus! Mmmmm, bier!
What can I say? I like their S.O.B. (hamburger)! I had a great time talking with some EMC type guys that were in town on business. Gotta keep the electric on somehow!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I had heard that Hitler got the idea of the swastika symbol from seeing it on the ceiling at the Hofbrauhaus... so just curious if you ended up on the floor there at any point to see if it's true :) Prost!